MIAMI – The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and Boating Writers International (BWI) announced the winners of the 2015 Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show Innovation Awards, presented during the annual Industry Breakfast at the Miami Beach Convention Center. This year’s program featured a record number of entries with 97 products—a 68 percent increase in entries compared to last year.
The 2015 Miami International Boat Show Innovation Award winners are:
Alternate Drive Technology (pods, stern drives): Volvo Penta, Forward Drive
Deck Equipment & Hardware: Taco Metals, Rub Rail Mounted LED Light
Docking & Fendering Equipment: StormFender LLC, StormFender
Mechanical & Electrical Systems: Yamaha Watercraft, Connext Helm Control System
Inboard Engines: Indmar Products, ROUSH Charged Raptor
Outboard Engines: BRP U.S. Inc., Evinrude E-TEC G2
Consumer Safety Equipment: Simrad-Navico, Forward Scan
Watersport Equipment: LilliPad Diving Boards, LilliPad Diving Board
Consumer Electronics, Apps & Software: Navionics Inc., SonarCharts and SonarCharts Live
Center Console & Walkaround Fishing Boats: Hydra-Sport, 53’ Suenos
Cuddy Cabin and Bowrider Boats: Rec Boat Holdings/Four Winns, Horizon 440 Bow Cruiser
Deck Boats: Boston Whaler, 320 Vantage
Jet Boats: Chaparral Boats, Aerial Surf Platform
Personal Watercrafts (PWCs): Yamaha Watercraft, Yamaha RiDE System
Pontoon Boats: Apex Marine, Inc., Angler Quest
Tow Boats: MasterCraft Boat Company, X23
Environmental Award: Wake Worx LLC, Mussel Mast’R Aquatic Invasive Species Filter System
The Innovation Awards judging committee is comprised of BWI members who perform product testing throughout the year and have specific expertise in marine products and equipment. The committee is chaired by Zuzana Prochazka, freelance writer with regular contributions to SAIL, Sea, BoatUS and Cruising Outpost magazines as well as Boats.com, Yachtworld.com and TalkoftheDock.com. The judging committee includes:
• Nigel Calder: Associate/Technical Editor with Professional BoatBuilder, Sail, PassageMaker, Yachting Monthly and Ocean Navigator; and author of The Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual, Marine Diesel Engines and several other titles.
• Alan Jones: Executive Editor, Boating World magazine.
• Liz Pasch: Editorial Director, Southern Boating.
• Lenny Rudow: Senior Editor, Dominion Marine Media, including Boats.com and Yachtworld.com; Electronics Editor, BoatUS magazine; and author of six books.
• David Schmidt: Electronics Editor, Yachting magazine; Racing Editor, SAIL magazine; U.S. Racing Editor, Sail-World.com; and Owner and Founder, Alembic Media, LLC.
• Ed Sherman: Vice President and Education Director, American Boat & Yacht Council; contributor to Boating, Cruising World, Soundings, Professional BoatBuilder, and Yachting magazines; owner, Ed’s Boat Tips blog; and author of several books.
• Alan Wendt: President, BWI; frequent contributor to Lakeland Boating.
Innovation Awards recognize exceptionally innovative new consumer marine products, and will be on display throughout the show, February 12-16, at the show’s three locations – Miami Beach Convention Center, Sea Isle Marina and Miamarina at Bayside.